Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Whoa oh ohhhh, listen to the music..."

Okay...I was inspired by Life In A Lovely Heart to research the #1 songs on my birthdays (I have just a few more than you, Puddy-Girl) and then to make a list of songs I like that might surprise you. The results of this inspiration are as follows:

#1 on my birthday - August 7th

2008 ... "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry
2007 ... "Beautiful Girls" by Sean Kingston
2006 ... "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland
2005 ... "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey
2004 ... "Slow Motion" by Juvenile featuring Soulja Slim
2003 ... "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z
2002 ... "Hot in Herre" by Nelly
2001 ... "Bootylicious" by Destiny's Child
2000 ... "Incomplete" by Sisqó
1999 ... "Genie in a Bottle" by Christina Aguilera
1998 ... "The Boy Is Mine" by Brandy & Monica
1997 ... "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy & Faith Evans featuring 112
1996 ... "Macarena [Bayside Boys Mix]" by Los Del Rio
1995 ... "Waterfalls" by TLC
1994 ... "Stay (I Missed You)" by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
1993 ... "Can't Help Falling in Love" by UB40
1992 ... "This Used to Be My Playground" by Madonna
1991 ... "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" by Bryan Adams
1990 ... "Vision of Love" by Mariah Carey
1989 ... "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx
1988 ... "Roll with It" by Steve Winwood
1987 ... "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2
1986 ... "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera
1985 ... "Shout" by Tears for Fears
1984 ... "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr.
1983 ... "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
1982 ... "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
1981 ... "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield
1980 ... "Magic" by Olivia Newton-John
1979 ... "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer
1978 ... "Three Times a Lady" by The Commodores
1977 ... "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" by Andy Gibb
1976 ... "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John & Kiki Dee
1975 ... "Jive Talkin'" by The Bee Gees
1974 ... "Feel Like Makin' Love" by Roberta Flack
1973 ... "The Morning After" by Maureen McGovern
1972 ... "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan
1971 ... "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" by The Bee Gees
1970 ... "(They Long to Be) Close to You" by The Carpenters
1969 ... "In the Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)" by Zager & Evans
1968 ... "Hello, I Love You" by The Doors
1967 ... "Light My Fire" by The Doors
1966 ... "Summer in the City" by The Lovin' Spoonful
1965 ... "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" by Herman's Hermits
1964 ... "A Hard Day's Night" by The Beatles
1963 ... "Fingertips (Part II)" by Little Stevie Wonder

Uhmmm...yeah. I pretty much lost the train of music after 1996, although I have heard "I Kissed A Girl". I don't believe I've heard most of the songs in between though. *LOL*

As for songs I really like that might surprise you:

"Straight To Number One" by Touch and Go
"Disturbia" by Rhinannon
"Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down
"1985" by Bowling for Soup
"Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace" by Big and Rich
"Smooth" by Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas
"Glamorous" by Fergie
"House At Pooh Corner" by Loggins and Messina
"Panama Red" by New Riders of the Purple Sage
"Baby Doll" by Pat Green
"Somebody Loved" by The Weepies
"Waterfalls" by TLC
"Get Right With The Man" by Van Zandt

I am also a major "Parrothead", a frequent visitor of the "Martini Lounge", and a "Zydeco" fan. I'll listen to Big Band, Swing (country and regular), Broadway, some Metal, and even an occasional Rap song though I totally dislike hardcore and 'gansta' Rap (think "Wild Thing" by Tone-Loc, NOT NWA's "Straight Outta Compton"). In short - if it's good music, good lyrics, or a tiny bit odd - there's a chance I'll listen to it at least once. If I like it I'll listen more. And if I love it I'll listen for the rest of forever. As Nietzsche said, "Without music, life would be an error."

So come on....'fess up....what are YOU listening to??? *G*

4 comments:

Harbor Hon said...

I listen mostly to Don Henley, Elton John, Peter Gabriel and others. They say disco is dead, but I'm still a disco girl. :) xxoo

wvpaperwings said...

Ohh, good post, good post! I like it! I may have to post somethng on the Paperwings. As for the songs on your birthdays, I lost the song track around '91 myself. But I do know the Macarena (the song and how to dance it) and I know Waterfalls. I went country back in '88 so that explains my lack of _____ology (fill in rock, r&b, hiphop, or whatever those songs are considered). I never liked Gangsta either and K knows why. Hey, why don't we play "Name That Tune" anymore?

No1sRed said...

Hmm...I don't know why we don't play. We should get back into that again! And by the by, I LOVE your snowflake!!! VERY pretty!! *G*

TuesdaysChild said...

Hey, I wanna play, too! I was never old enough back when you guys played it with that little piano, but now I'm rockin' with the best of 'em!
Love the post, by the way, it's so cool to look back at music over the years, isn't it?
Oh, and to Aunt Cawnin - disco NEVER died, and I can prove it! Look up a song called "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" by Scissor Sisters...you'll see what I mean! Disco lives! LOL